As a family we love to go around our neighborhood and trick or treat. It’s so great to catch up with the neighbors and see how cute their kids are dressed up. There are some hazards to think about though. Go out and trick or treat but let’s do it with these safety tips in mind.
1. No matter how old your child thinks they are never let them go alone. A parent should always be with their child. Children are impulsive and can run out in front of cars without thinking. Make sure they are close to you at all times.
2. Bring a flashlight. When we trick or treat we always carry a flashlight so that cars can see us. Automobiles are one of the biggest worries when trick or treating.
3. Check all candy and make sure that it is completely factory wrapped and not messed with. Check for pin holes and any tampering that you may see. If you can take it to the dentist and let them x-ray it to make sure there’s not any razors or other items in the candy the kids want to eat.
4. Discard any homemade treats unless you personally know the maker. Better safe than sorry and when in doubt please be sure to throw it out.
5. Remove any choking hazards from your child’s candy bag. That could include anything from small toys, peanuts, hard candy and anything about the size of a nickel.
We all love to have fun and we want you to enjoy your Halloween season. Let’s just do it safely by making sure you follow these tips.
Dina is a wife and mother first and a blogger second. She blogs over at My UnEntitled Life and More From Mom where she loves to share her parenting and life experiences with her readers. I’d love for you to stop by and say hi!