2011 is practically here. It is technically the second year of the decade, but many people find 2011 to be more of an official commencement of this decade. We’ve lived through quite a lot in the previous one, folks. Many of which have been blogged, Facebooked and Twittered about, caused laughter, smirks or tears, some of which will be documented in the educational materials of tomorrow and will shape how we think and function as a nation and a global community in this decade. Despite all of the negative things that have occurred in the last decade, here is an ode to all the positives we can look back on in no particular order.
- Apple unveils the iPod & morphs the mp3 industry.
- The world is captivated by the literary world of Harry Potter.
- American Idol premieres and sweeps the nation.
- Facebook is launched and changes how we communicate.
- YouTube popularity explodes, creating a new wave of Internet celebrities
- The Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii are released within days of each other, causing retail madness.
- Halle Berry makes Oscar history becoming the first black female winner
- Michael Phelps wins a record-setting 8 Gold medals at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
- Nancy Pelosi becomes first female speaker of the House
- Hilary Clinton runs for the Presidency and later becomes the Secretary of State
- Barack Obama becomes the first African American president
So that’s our past decade in a nutshell! Now all we can do is reflect on the events on the past, and look forward to another successful decade to come!