Summer has ended, the kids are officially back in school… and coming up with creative ideas for lunch is never easy!
Hopefully we can help! Check out these super easy school lunches to pack for your little ones.
1. Mini Taco Hand Pies
- 1 box refrigerated pie dough
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, stir to crumble. Add salt, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin; stir. Continue to cook until beef is no longer pink and seasoning has been incorporated. This should take 8-10 minutes. The beef mixture should thicken as it cooks. Stir in black beans, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425. Sprinkle flour over a work surface. Roll out one sheet of dough. Cut dough into circles using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary. Repeat with remaining sheet of dough.
- Arrange half of the circles on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Place a tablespoon of meat mixture on the dough circles, top with roughly a half teaspoon of cheese. Place the other circle halves over the meat and cheese mixture. Pinch edges together with the tines of a fork Combine egg and water in a bowl. Brush egg wash over the top of each hand pie. Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes or jut until golden. Remove from oven and let hand pies cool slightly before serving. Serve with your favorite taco fixings on the side.
- Store hand pies in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or a zip-lock bag.
2. Cinnamon Toast PB & J
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon jam or jelly
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Butter one side of the bread slices and sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Put the bread on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and and broil until the sugar has melted and starts to bubble. This won’t take long, so don’t walk away, watch it closely. Remove from oven.
- Spread the inside pieces of bread with peanut butter and jam. Make a sandwich and cut in half. Serve immediately.
3. Mini Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, pumpkin puree, egg, and butter. Mix until there are no lumps left.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together just until combined.
- Over medium heat, grease skillet lightly and pour about 2 tablespoons of batter onto a heated skillet or large pan. When pancake starts to bubble slightly, carefully flip over.
- Serve with whipped cream and maple syrup.
4. Grilled Cheese Roll ups
- 6 slices of Bread
- 6 slices of American Cheese
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Roll each slice of bread to flatten.
- Trim crust off of bread.
- Place cheese slice on bread and roll up
- Heat skillet over medium low and melt butter.
- Place rollups in pan seam side down.
- Cook until brown turning frequently throughout cooking.
- Serve immediately.
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 30 pepperoni slices
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2.25oz can sliced black olives
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1/2 batch Thick & Rich Pizza Sauce
Prep the ingredients by thinly slicing the vegetables and draining the olives and mushrooms.
For each pizzadilla, measure 1/3 cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle half of the cheese over one half of the tortilla, add toppings and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the toppings.
Place the pizzadilla in a prewarmed skillet (medium heat) and cook until brown and crispy on the bottom. Carefully flip the pizzadilla over and cook until brown and crispy on the second side. Once both sides are crisp and the cheese is melted inside, slice into thirds with a pizza cutter. Dip in the pizza sauce prior to eating.