Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner! There are many reasons and ways to celebrate Memorial Day– the last Monday in May is officially dedicated to honor our country’s soldiers while it unofficially serves as the kick-off day to summer. Here are a few ideas for the upcoming long weekend:
- Incorporate a red, white and blue theme – clothing, picnic decorations, balloons, flowers, etc.
- Fly the American flag. Remember that the flag flies at half-mast till noon.
- Go on a family getaway/trip or have a BBQ/picnic with friends and family.
- Attend/watch national events such as the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 auto races, watch the National Memorial Day Concert (held on the lawn of the Capitol Building) on PBS, or a Memorial Day Parade.
- Shop the Memorial Day sales.
- Remember the National Moment of Remembrance at 3 p.m. local time.
- Close to the beach? If so, Memorial Day is considered the first weekend of the summer season so begin it right by enjoying local beaches.
- With the start of warm weather comes the luxury of enjoying the outdoors. Start preparing your garden for summer veggies like tomatoes and zucchinis.
How are you celebrating your Memorial Day weekend? Do you have any ideas or traditions to share? Regardless of how we choose to spend the weekend, let us all celebrate and never forget those who fought gallantly for our country and freedom.
Memorial Day Fact: Red poppies are the official flower of Memorial Day.