We all have busy schedules—work, family, summer vacations, you name it. The key to enjoying your hectic lifestyle is to make time for yourself. Practicing self-care is a simple task that can easily be forgotten. Allow us to provide you with some tips and tricks on how you can find your zen and be your best self.
A huge part of self-care is taking care of your body, and what better way to take care of your body than by getting physical! This can include anything from exercising, eating healthy, or asking for a bear hug every once in a while. We recommend you set aside one hour a week to get out and get active. Afraid you will hit the lazy button and stay inside to binge watch Netflix? Don’t worry! Here are some easy ideas to get you started:
- Go for a walk to get some fresh air. You can take a simple stroll around the block or set aside time to take a hike. Whatever you are feeling will work!
- Hit play on your favorite playlist and have a dance party with yourself. This may sound silly, but you’ll be surprised how good you feel after! Feel the beat and jump around!
- Take time to play with your pets. When you give attention to your loyal animals, it reminds them how much you love them. Plus, it works wonders for your physical self! Forget everything that’s going on for a second and just hangout with your furry friend. Don’t have any pets? Take a trip to the nearest animal shelter or pet store to get in some needed animal-hooman bonding time. Gush over the cuteness and get an easy pick-me-up!
- Escape your own reality and step into someone else’s! Reading is a great way to step into another realm and ease your mind of all of your daily stressors. An interesting plot line can have you hooked, escaping your busy life from a few minutes to hours on end. Before you know it, you’ll be sailing away with Moby Dick and casting spells with Harry Potter.
- It’s never too late to learn a new skill or take on a new hobby. Writing, drawing, coloring, and painting are all easy ways to express your true self. Don’t worry, we all can’t be Picasso… but just remember this is all for yourself, so do whatever inspires you and challenges you to get your creative juices flowing.
- Turn your phone off for an hour. Give yourself a break from technology (and blue screens) every once in a while! Digital screens are constantly stimulating our mind, which sounds silly, but can definitely be exhausting. Take some time to find peace and quiet and get in touch with your own thoughts and feelings.
- Clean and reorganize your space. This may sound like a daunting task to most, but we’re sure everyone has experienced that calming feeling after you have tidied up your space to exactly how you want it. How do you expect to de-clutter your mind if your surroundings are cluttered too!
Find Your Zen
- Start each morning with two minutes of meditation. We know when people hear “meditation”, a lot assume it’s not for them. Try not to get caught up in the how—just do. Start by counting your breaths and focus on light, energy, and sounds. You can even play a soothing tune if it helps. Remember, this time is for you, so try to fully relax and come in tune with yourself. Need some tips on meditation? Check out this 5-Step Approach to Effective Guided Meditation.
- Not ready to dive right into meditation? Try aromatherapy! Set up a sweet escape by burning candles—a simple way to create a relaxing setting. Not a candle person? Try lighting incense.
- Catch up with a friend or family member you haven’t seen in a while. A short text or call is bound to brighten up both of your days.
- List what you’re grateful for. This can be before you go to bed or right when you wake up. And no pen and paper necessary! Just quickly remind yourself of all you’re lucky for in this life.
We hope these simple tips go a long way for you when it comes to your mind, body, and soul!