Top Five Summer “Beach” Reading Books
1. The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of FACEBOOK: A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal. Written by Ben Mezrich
2. The Other Boleyn Girl. Written by Phillipa Gregory
3. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Written by Rebecca Skloot
4. Watching What We Eat: The Evolution of Television Cooking Shows. Written by Kathleen Collins
5. Farm City. Written by Novella Carpenter
The first two books on my list are also movies, however I still suggest reading them before you see them unless you already have! The screenplays leave out so many details that are described in both books. These books have their own share of drama and scandal with a dull moment never lasting long.
Like science? Even if you don’t you should read number three. I’ll bet not everyone out there knows where the polio shots we got as kids came from… or how doctors came to acquire the human cells necessary.
Number four is for all those foodies and cooking show enthusiasts out there. Kathleen Collins describes how cooking shows and food as entertainment reflects the changes in American culture. Some of the original shows she talks about can be found online, and are quite amusing so take a look!
The fifth book is perfect for any gardener or farmer out there, or just anyone looking for an eye opener book. You will learn a lot about eating locally, growing and raising vegetables and animals for personal consuming, and that the City of Oakland, California doesn’t like the author one bit. The book is honest, passionate, and funny.
Are there any books on your list?