February comes around and department stores and online stores paint the town red and white. Everyone goes into a frenzy, pressured to not only do something for their significant others, no matter how new or old the relationship, but also to outdo the previous year or previous relationship.
Sometimes it seems like there are only two types of people in the world at this time. Those
who love Valentine’s Day, prance around in its glow and those who couldn’t care less about
this midpoint day in February. There has to be a way to get these two groups to some middle ground so Cupid doesn’t end up shooting himself.
Here are some dos and don’ts that should mend the differences.
– Don’t pretend that you forgot. Everyone knows when Valentine’s Day is and even if you
genuinely lost track of the dates, you know it’s the season because you’re reminded somehow everywhere.
– Don’t dwell on V-days past. Even if your partner didn’t make you as happy this year or last year’s partner was more charming or you wound up single this year, it’s all behind you. Perhaps with good reason.
– Don’t broadcast everything. Facebook and Twitter friends should not be overwhelmed with how much you love or hate Valentine’s Day. There’s a reason Facebookers have petitioned for the “dislike” button.
– Don’t be unrealistic. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be pampered or wanting your partner to go the extra mile. But you don’t want your expectations to be so high that your partner feels inadequate.
– Do personalize. There is nothing better than giving a gift that is very true to the person’s
personality or interests. It’s even better is when there is a special touch! Are the days of hand-written letters over?
– Do change the meaning of Valentine’s Day. It’s a day to celebrate love. Hopefully you have many loves in your life, whether it’s your pets, your best friends, your siblings, yourself. Only for commercial purposes has this day become solely about couples.
– Do have fun. Your relationship should not be defined by this one day and your singledom
should not be a source of any unhappiness on this day. As with everyday, it’s how you make it.